Friday, March 13, 2009

I should be more meek

I really prefer fun and light hearted. It’s so much easier for everybody. But something has come up today and I have to turn to my dark side, even though there are so many good people out there (with very eloquent writing skills) who want to help save us all, especially from our misguided moral positions. Must be that damned Friday the 13th.

So here is an open letter to the small handful of nice folks commenting on a few blogs today, decrying democratic strategist (you know, of course he’s a democrat!) Joe Trippi’s statement that he and the 23+ million Americans with diabetes are thrilled with the lifting of the stem cell research restrictions.

I know you’ll step away from the cure when it’s discovered. Of course, no one will take down names or refuse you or your children the opportunity for treatment, because that would be wrong. We’ll just rely on your ability to stick to your very clear and steadfast principles and do what’s right. Show the rest of us how it’s done.

I'm envious. Life must be so easy when you know you’re on the path to righteousness. Let me ask, though, so I’m clear on the amazing extent of your morally victorious position: how often do you visit murderers and rapists in prison to spread the Good Word and provide comfort? Or provide a meal for that dirty panhandler with the cardboard sign at the busiest intersection in town? Or go to the seedy side of downtown late at night and distribute warm coats to the prostitutes? I know you are all following these corporal works of mercy and setting the best possible example for the rest of us, many of us your fellow Parishoners, for whom things aren’t so crystal.

I sure hope I can be forgiven, because I want so very desperately to see a cure for my little girl. Wow – apparently enough to condone the “killing” of another “child” though gosh, it sure doesn’t feel that way in my heart of hearts. Please pray for me. I know 100% I’ll have to pray for forgiveness for today’s display of snarkiness and anger. But I will also pray that you never have to tell your child they must endure the life sentence of diabetes.

1 comment:

cameracrazy said...

Well said!

Being the mom of a child diagnosed with an illness that has few or maybe no answers is the toughest job to ever be undertaken. As a nurse I have faced death & dying of people in my care numerous times and each time is unique and always heartbreaking. But nothing can ever compare to being a mother and your child facing something that will change the world, as you know it, forever. No matter the outcome life will never resume in the same way.

I remember being the mom of a child who was facing the need of a heart transplant and realizing that if I prayed for her to live I would be praying for someone else to die a tragic death. As a caring, Christian human being that is a very difficult situation to face.

I was fortunate in that the ultimate showdown never came. Maybe God realized I wasn't strong enough to make a stand. Maybe He just wanted to know if I would recognize what was involved and have enough faith to hand it over to Him. I don't know but I am thankful that today my child is a beautiful, healthy woman with children of her own that she loves deeply and will do everything in her power to keep them safe.