Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Amazing Grace

My company is embracing all forms of social media. So keeping an eye on Twitter along with email is not a crime. It’s great to see in real time what is interesting to industry analysts, journalists, and all-around technologists and have a new way to connect with them. And of course, I also follow a few in the online diabetes crowd. Six Until Me has been my number one go-to blog for smart, funny diabetes commentary with some real life (and New England life at that!) thrown in and her Twitter chat is equally entertaining and informative.

Today via SUM, I notice a fellow Twitter-er and PR Mom is going through the shock of her nine year old's Type 1 diabetes diagnosis. And while I don't know her or have any connection to her family, I honestly just feel overwhelmed with emotion reading her update about giving the first insulin injection.

When I look back and think about that one awful day and recall hearing Reagan's diagnosis, I see what a fog I was in then and for weeks afterward. In fact, it is very much the same emotional reaction that I had to 9/11 - just a numb nod of the head and a sense that I understood the impact, when in fact I had no idea how hard it would hit later.

So I can't offer any brilliant advice - practical or otherwise. But I will offer that a child's strength and courage are amazing and one can find all they need to go on right there.

No comments: